Thursday, November 12, 2009

A MUST that I write about an article in AARP

The AARP mag just came in todays mail. As I skimmed through it I was put into shock. An article told of a 48 year old woman with ALS. She has slurred speech. She purchased an iPod for $375.00. She types in her thoughts and the iPod does the talking for her. Isn't that neat?
But, Medicare thinks that "it is designed for the general public and not for a specific medical purpose". True can be used for my music and notes, but it can also chart her meds.
A friend of hers, also ALS, got an $8,000.00 dedicated device and Medicare paid. But......the friend replaced hers also with an iPhone because the dedicated device that Medicare would pay for was too bulky.
The article in AARP ended with :This is where the government and private insurance lose all common sense." How true it would seem, correct?
I, personally, wish I had the ladies addresses. I'd send them some money toward their purchases. After all, The 48 year old lady served as a flight paramedic and I'll guarantee you, she paid for it time and time again through her courageous efforts to help others and her taxes.
Thanks for reading. I truly would love to know who you are and what you are thinking about gardening. Please take a few moments to contact me. I'd love to hear what you have to say! Your opinion counts with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment