Saturday, November 28, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving and now on with Christmas

I've been researching Truffles and other types of mushrooms. I am amazed that there are so many and seemingly so easy to grow. The truffles are of great interest to us. The worse side is that it takes so long to harvest a full crop. The best side is that they sell for a lot of money.
Hazelnut, pine and oak trees all work equally well for truffles. My preference then will be the oak tree, I think. We have pine trees on our farm so am interested in seeing if they will work too.
I'm also interested in growing unusual or rare vegetables. If you know of any please do forward the names to me. Kohlarabi is something that a friend grew this year that I'd like to try. I think I spelled it correctly. Leeks, articokes and a couple other vegetables have also caught my eye for next Spring. One of the main vegetables in most gardens, the asparagus, isn't in my garden so will invest in a few and see how it does in our soil.
Checked on the red raspeberry plants that I planted about a month ago. They are doing well I think, still green leaves yet anyway even though it is only one week to December. Thankfully we've had a very mild fall so far. In my mind, it can stay like this until Spring and then get warmer. It is 4:15 pm and still 61 degrees, short sleeve weather. HURRAH for warmth!
Have a great week. Smile and make people wonder what you are up to!

Thanks for reading. I truly would love to know who you are and what you are thinking about gardening. Please take a few moments to contact me. I'd love to hear what you have to say! Your opinion counts with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment