Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Candy Roaster Pumpkin

A favorite to grow and eat is the Candy Roaster Pumpkins. This year they were growing well and the cattle broke through that particular area and stomped the pumpkins. Not once but twice they broke in, seems like we would have learnt the first time to do something different with the fencing. The best part is that the last few seeds I planted in a different place than the rest. I wanted to see how well they would grow in different soil. Thank the good Lord! I got one but the one I got was about 35 lbs. Huge but small for a candy roaster.
We saved it and today spent a couple hours cutting and peeling that single candy roaster. I've used 3 huge pots and have it all cooking up as I write. Next step is to puree it all after it cools and then into pies, and freezer it goes. We'll have enough pumpkin to share with friends and still be able to give to the Open Door for the homeless.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving.


Thanks for reading. I truly would love to know who you are and what you are thinking about gardening. Please take a few moments to contact me. I'd love to hear what you have to say! Your opinion counts with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment