Thursday, September 17, 2009

MY NEW PUPPY PADS ARE WORKING!

Hurrah!!!! I can't believe it, it works!
In an attempt to cut the use of $$$ and help the environment I decided that using 2 bags of puppy pads a week is a wee bit much. So, it's time to try something different.
You know that newspaper companies have what is called "end rolls", right? When I had my day care I would trekk to the office of the newspaper company and pick up an end roll. I'd bring it to the day care and let the children craft on it. It was a wonderful idea then because it didn't cost anything.
So today, using my thought to cut costs and puppy pads I began the change over. Taking a piece of washable plastic cut the right size that I can use time and time again I laid it on the floor. Then I put down 2 layers of the newspaper on top of the plastic. It took the baby puppy a few hours to get the idea but thanks to her Momma and Daddy, she soon decided to use the newspaper instead of the bare floor.
It works! It really works!! Each time I throw away the newspaper pieces, I'll spray bleach over the plastic and lay down some more newspaper.
Each bag of purchased puppy pads cost over $8.00 times 2 a week, equals a savings of $64.00 plus tax. Maybe that doesn't sound like much to you. But my idea is to save the landfill the extra plastic backed puppy pad.
Now onto my next challenge I'm giving myself. I'm not buying any more quart or gallon size bags or plastic trash can bags. Everything I put into my refrigerator or freezer will now be in regular containers that can be re-washed and re-used over and over. Working on that will be easy.
The hard part will be to no longer be lazy when it comes to trash can bags. I have added new large containers to my storage area to house my plastic bottles,a second one for items like soup cans and such.
The food left on the plates will be put into a compost or fed to our cattle, chickens, and dogs. Composting will also use some of the paper and cardboard too!
Otherwise, the extra paper products will go green and the cardboard will now be green too! You know if you think of it, everything you use in your kitchen and bathroom can go green! Here's a suggestion: Try using hand towels and make cloth napkins instead of paper towels.
Yes, you too can cut costs and give your Grandchildren something more to live for! Thanks for reading. I truly would love to know who you are and what you are thinking about gardening. Please take a few moments to contact me. I'd love to hear what you have to say! Your opinion counts with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment