Friday, August 28, 2009

Feeding Haywood

I began my idea of feeding Haywood about 2 years ago. Then a few months ago the rage built me up enough steam to contact local Commissioners. It didn't go anywhere but "south" as they say. But, I didn't want to give up, just give it a rest.
I didn't say that I took a rest. My husband and I planted and cared for more than ever before in our gardening season. We dug, planted and gave more than before. Gave to the local soup kitchen, needy and neighbors. Those who have physical problems were high on our list along with the soup kitchen. And yes, we found time to sell a few vegetables in our driveway to passer-bys.
But.....back in the wee spaces of my brain, I never once gave up on the idea of feeding the county of Haywood. Wouldn't it be something to find a way to make it work? A co-op? A meat packaging? A bread bakery? Is it possible that all and more could be made possible by first one, then another and so on until we have the whole county of Haywood working together.
It's reported that there is 10% without work in our county. Well, that's not probably accurate. What about seniors? What's the count when you figure those that are here for the summer months? How about adding in those who just don't want to, or can afford not to work? But....don't they all need to eat? Well, then, add again.
There is no flour mill in our area. Can't buy 25-50 lbs. of popcorn anywhere? Will the money last that our schools use to feed the children? What about our seniors too proud to ask for Meals on Wheels, are they eating fresh foods? I could ask you questions all day but no one would have all the answers.
So I began again and I'll keep on. I'm 62 years old this year and if I can be given 20 more years I've got to time leave something to everyone that lives here. Not just talk about it, but really leave something. Oh, I can sit back and wait for big business to drop in and hire 50-250 people but is that what it'll take? I doubt it very much. Use your math skills, will it work? Nope! A procrastinator will put off until the tomorrows and still there will be nothing done.
I've made phone calls and sent emails. Put a bee in people's bonnet. So now, what's next? Will it come to be or are we all just going to sit and wait for a company to come in, set up shop and hire a few?
Tune in throughout the Fall and Winter and by Spring let's see if Feeding Haywood has bottomed out again or if people care enough to bring it out to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment